Water Jug and Goblet
Manufactured by W.H.B. & J. Richardson
23.5 cm high (jug)
16.5 cm high (goblet)
English (Stourbridge), circa 1848
The jug marked ‘RICHARDSONS VITRIFIED’ and with design registration kite mark for 13 June 1848 (printed in black under base). The goblet with the date mark (printed in red under base)
Catherine Futter, et al., Bloch Galleries: Highlights from the Collection of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, p. 37 (2004.43.1,2), for a jug and goblet of identical form and with the same scheme of decoration differently painted, and a painted opaline goblet of the same form
The water lilies on the jug and goblet illustrate two key principles of nineteenth-century British design: naturalistic ornament and a relationship between function and ornament. Aquatic plants appropriately adorn water vessels, indicating their purpose.
Another jug of this type is in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum (CIRC.167-1964).