Tile panel

Ref: 2763
  • Designer

    Designed by William De Morgan (1839-1917)

  • Detail

    Earthenware, enamelled with Persian colours; original oak frame, with later paint removed after photography

    85.5 x 62 cm (sight size)

    English (London), circa 1890

  • Marked

    The marks are (presumably) behind a board fixed to the back of the frame, so have not been seen.

  • Provenance

    Frederick Seebohm, by descent to his son Hugh Seebohm; by descent to his daughter Fidelity, Countess of Cranbrook, and by descent to her grandson, the present owner

  • Collection

    Private collection

  • Notes

    Both Frederick and Hugh were historians, philanthropists, patrons of the arts and supporters of the Arts and Crafts Movement.  The panel hung in the entrance hall of the family home Poynder’s End near Hitchin.   It is possible it originally came from Hugh’s childhood home prior to this, the Hermitage in Hitchin, which Frederick extended in the 19th Century.

    Hugh Seebohm, a banker, farmer and gentleman scholar, was a keen supporter of the later Arts and Craft movement. He commissioned Geoffrey Lucas to rebuild a farmhouse on his estate shortly after his marriage to the great grandmother of the panel’s most recent owner. Lucas is best known for his work on Hampstead Garden Suburb, but also built a number of lesser-known private houses, including Poynders End.

    Hugh was a friend of C.R. Ashbee and Ashbee printed some of his books. He supported Ashbee in the Guild of Handicrafts move to Chipping Campden.