Designer / Maker
Designed by Ambrose Heal (1872-1959)
Manufactured by Heal & Son (1810-present)
Oak, with boxwood and ebony inlays
75.6 × 101.2 cm – maximum width
English (London), circa 1903
Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society, 1903
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
The Studio, XXVIII (1903), p. 40
In the absence of another table of this design, it seems likely that it is the one exhibited in 1903 and admired by The Studio for its ‘admirable craftsmanship’ (op. cit., p. 38).
Ambrose Heal joined his family’s firm in 1893 and soon began designing simple, sturdy oak furniture that, despite initial internal resistance, became a popular feature at the Tottenham Court Road store. In addition to one-off designs for exhibitions (such as the present table), Heal created ranges of commercial Arts & Crafts furniture aimed at residents of the blossoming ‘Garden Suburbs’, notably those at Letchworth and Hampstead; see Susanna Godden, At the Sign of the Fourposter. A History of Heal’s, London, 1984, ch. 3.