Table

  • Designer / Maker

    Designed by E.W. Godwin (1833-81)

    Manufactured by Collinson & Lock (1870-97)

  • Detail

    Ebonised mahogany or beech, with calamander-veneered top, and brass castors

    72 x 102 x 102 cm

    English (London), circa 1874

  • Provenance

    Andrew and Alice Muir, 42, Holland Park, London; thence by descent

  • Literature

    Harvey Pitcher, Muir & Mirrielees: The Scottish Partnership that Became a Household Name in Russia, Cromer, 1994, p. 100, fig. 18, for an illustration of the present table in situ (see right)

    Susan Weber Soros, The Secular Furniture of E.W. Godwin, New Haven and London, 1999, pp. 150-51 (for tables of this pattern)

  • Collection

    Private collection

  • Notes

    Godwin’s design for this model is in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum, London (PD E.278-1963).

    Several examples of this table have come to light, but this is the only one with a documented provenance.  Based on the photograph opposite, thought to date from around 1890, the table may have formed part of a Godwin commission, or one from the cabinet-maker Collinson & Lock.  The Muirs moved into Holland Park in 1874.  The table can be seen to the left, while the corner cabinet (left) appears to be closely related to one now in the Delaware Art Museum and the square table with lattice sides is like one formerly at Tyntesfield.

    Other octagonal, eight-legged tables of this pattern include examples at the Minneapolis Museum of Art, the Rhode Island School of Design, the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and the Museum of Modern Art, New York.