Designer / Maker
Designed by Philip Webb (1831 – 1915)
Manufactured by James Powell & Sons (1834 – 1980)
13 cm ( eight larger glasses)
14.25 cm (eight smaller glasses)
English (London), circa 1890
Laurence W. Hodson (1864-1933); thence by descent; sold Dreweatt’s, 27 February 2013; H. Blairman & Sons; private collection, 2013-21
Leslie Jackson (ed), Whitefriars Glass: The Art of James Powell & Sons, Shepton Beauchamp, 1996, p.97, plates 1 & 4
Laurence Hodson was a wealthy West Midlands brewer, and a collector and philanthropist. He was a friend, patron and admirer of William Morris, and commissioned many works to refurbish his family home, Compton Hall, in 1895. A founder of Birmingham University, he also was chairman of the Wolverhampton Art and Industrial Exhibition (1902).
Items from Hodson’s collection sold by Dreweatt’s in 2013 included four drawings by Philip Webb; see, for example, H. Blairman & Sons, Furniture and Works of Art (2014), no. 16, now in the collection of the National Trust at Wightwick Manor and Honeysuckle, a needlework designed by William Morris (final page), now in the collection of the William Morris Gallery, Walthamstow.