Pair of side chairs
Designer / Retailer
Designed and manufactured by Louis & Siegfried Lövinson
Retailed by Julius Yacoby
German (Berlin), circa 1867
The Illustrated Catalogue of the Universal Exhibition Published with the Art Journal, London and New York, 1868, p. 62
Jörg Meiner, ‘“der Intelligenz Preussens zur Ehre gereichende Industrie” Die Berliner Möbelfabrik “Gesellschaft Renaissance” (1855–1877)’, in Zeitschrift des Deutschen Vereins für Kunstwissenschasft, 64, Berlin, 2010, pp. 301–24 (for a history of Louis and Siegfried Lövinson)
Paris Exposition Universelle, 1867 (the same design)
A related hall chair in the Renaissance Revival style stamped ‘JULIUS YACOBY 52 REGENT ST. LONDON’, lacking the cresting, is in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum (W.52–2005). The National Portrait Gallery acquired a further pair, identical to the present examples, for display at its former outpost, Bodelwyddan Castle, North Wales; see Jörg Meiner (op. cit., fig. 16).
Lövinson and Yacoby (or Jacoby) had workshops in Berlin and outlets in London and St Petersburg, as well as Berlin. In addition to the Paris Exposition Universelle, 1867, the firm had also shown at the London International Exhibition, 1862.