Pair of firedogs
Designer / Maker
Probably designed by A.W.N. Pugin (1812–1852)
Manufactured by John Hardman & Co. (1838–1900)
Iron and brass
English, mid-nineteenth century
Palace of Westminster; removed during refurbishment work in 1921 by a Clerk of Works; and by descent until 2020
Untitled trade catalogue for John Hardman & Sons (undated) includes a design for fire dogs of this pattern under ‘Fire Grates and Dogs’, no. 9
Elements of the design of these fire dogs can be seen in the plates of ‘Grand Irons’ published in Pugin’s Designs for Iron & Brass Work in the style of the XV and XVI centuries, London, 1836, pls 6–9. Examples of fire dog designs for the Palace of Westminster are shown in M.H. Port, The Houses of Parliament, New Haven and London, 1976, pl. 173. The present fire dogs also have features in common with those supplied to Colonel Robert Myddelton Biddulph (d.1872) for the Bow Drawing Room, Chirk Castle (sold Christie’s, on the premises, 21 June 2004, lot 55).
Due to lack of access to archives during 2020-21, it has not been possible to establish any further details about these firedogs.