Pair of chairs

  • Designer / Maker

    Designed by Alfred Wickham Jarvis

  • Collection

    American private collection

  • Notes

    A. Wickham Jarvis worked in the office of Charles Harrison Townsend (1851-1928) from 1889, before a spell with Robert Heywood Haslam (1878-1954), who had been in the office of C. F. A. Voysey (1857-1941), from 1895 to 1898. From about 1901 until his retirement in 1933, Jarvis was in partnership with Francis Richards, in London. Jarvis showed in the 5th Arts and Crafts Exhibition Society exhibition (1896) and by 1898 he was teaching architecture and cabinet design at the Camberwell School of Art.

    In 1899 Jarvis and Haslam designed ‘TheTeak House’ at Branksome, near Bournemouth, Dorset; the house was published in Modern British Domestic Architecture and Decoration (a Studio special number for 1901). At the 6th Arts and Crafts Exhihition Society exhibition (1899), Jarvis exhibited a teak chair that is the same pattern as the present chairs. It was illustrated in The Studio, 18 (1900), p. 182.

    One from a pair of chairs in teak now in a private collection, but perhaps originally from the Teak House, is illustrated in Martin Levy, ‘Architectural by Design’, Country Life, 4 July 1991, pp. 116-1 7, fig. 2. A pair of chairs in walnut, en suite with the present pair, is in the collection of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.