Designer / Maker
Probably designed by Bruce J. Talbert (1838-81)
Manufactured and retailed by Cox & Sons (active 1838-circa 1881)
Brass (?), the gilding rubbed
20.5 x 20 x 8 cm
English (London), early 1870s
An engraving of the nef is illustrated in a Cox & Sons catalogue, 1873 (reprinted, 1876)
Two nefs of this form are known, the first exhibited The Best of British Design from the 19th and 20th Centuries, Sotheby’s, March 2008, no. PR40 (‘gilt metal’) and the second in the collection of Paul Reeves (un-gilded metal).
“Cox & Sons supplied all the needs of the church from silver to vestments and tomb rails. There was a shop on the Strand and a manufactory in Lambeth. By 1870 a catalogue of Cox & Son claimed to be able to supply 800 designs of furniture, Gothic metalwork, carpets and hangings by ’eminent church designers’.
Cox and Son were represented at international exhibitions in London in 1862, 1871, 1872 1873, Paris in 1867,and Philadelphia in 1876, as well as later at the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society.”
For a discussion of Cox & Sons, see James Bettley, An earnest desire to promote a right taste in ecclesiastical design’: Cox & Sons and the rise and fall of the church furnishing companies’, Decorative Arts Society Journal (26), 2002.