Designer / Maker
Designed and manufactured by James Powell & Sons (1834-1980)
Enamelled glass, with gilded lead; mirror plate
36 x 31.75 cm
English (Whitefriars), circa 1885
The only known source for the identification of mirrors from this group, that can now be shown to date between the late 1870s and the mid 1880s, is a 10-page manuscript catalogue, inscribed on the first page: ‘Messrs James Powell & Sons Whitefriars Glassworks…’
The volume contains ten beautifully rendered designs. Mirrors are shown with or without candle arms, and either white decorated on a blue ground, or with blue decoration on a white ground.