Jug

Ref: 1822
  • Designer / Maker

    Designed by Christopher Dresser (1834-1904)

    Manufactured by James Couper and Sons (1850–1922)

  • Detail

    Glass

    18 x 25.5 (max. width at top) x 22.5 (diameter at base) cm

    Scottish (Glasgow), circa 1890

  • Marked

    Etched on the underside ‘Clutha / JCS / Registered’

  • Provenance

    […]; John Jesse, 1998; private collection (1998-2024)

  • Note

    This jug belongs to the group of glassware trademarked ‘Clutha’ in 1888 by James Couper & Sons.  From this date until 1896, Dresser was sole designer of Couper & Sons’ Clutha glassware, which was retailed by Liberty & Co. in London from the 1880s until around 1900.

    The present design is, ultimately, inspired by Cycladic forms. Several similar glass jugs are known, some bearing Dresser’s name.  Ceramic (invariably Linthorpe) jugs with elongated spouts are also to be found.