'Clergy' chair

Ref: 2694
  • Designer / Maker

    Designed by Ernest Gimson (1864-1919), and manufactured in his workshop

  • Detail

    Oak

    136 x 70 x 54 cm

    English (Sapperton), circa 1917

  • Provenance

    St Nicholas’s Church, Compton, Guildford, Surrey; acquired on the U.K. art market, 2023

  • Note

    The design for this chair, inscribed ‘

    ‘Clergy Chair in English Oak’ for Compton Church is dated 31 July 1917, is in the collection of The Wilson, Cheltenham (see left).