Designer / Maker and Retailer
Designed and manufactured by John Pearson (1859-1930), for the Guild of Handicraft (founded 1888)
Copper, partly gilded
52 cm (diameter)
English (London), 1889
‘J. Pearson 1889 308 [encircled]’ engraved on the reverse (see right)
An image of an almost identical charger is preserved in one of four albums known as ‘The Ashbee Collection’ at the Victoria and Albert Museum (see right).
Another charger, also dated 1889, was exhibited in ‘The Guild of Handicraft 1888-1988’, Cheltenham Art Gallery & Museum, 4 June-23 July 1988, no. 3; this smaller (31 cm) charger was acquired from Blairman’s by the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (M.2002.104).
Pearson was born in Lambeth and probably received his earliest training working with William De Morgan.
In 1888, John Pearson was one of the founding members of the Guild of Handicraft, together with Charles Ashbee.
When the Guild of Handicraft started, John Pearson was the preeminent metalworker. At the Arts and Crafts Exhibition (1888), Pearson exhibited sixteen pieces.
For another large (69.4 cm) but later (1895) charger by Pearson, see H. Blairman & Sons Ltd, Furniture and Works of Art (2009), no. 18.