Designer / Maker
Designed by Alfred Waterhouse (1830-1905)
Manufactured by Henry Capel
Ebonised mahogany (?); later upholstered with nineteenth-century velvet
89 x 43 x 41 cm
English (London), circa 1872
Sir Roundell Palmer (1812-1895), created Earl of Selborne in 1882, Blackmoor House, Hampshire; by descent; […]; H. Blairman & Sons, 2014; Crab Tree Farm 2014-19
Mark Girouard, ‘Blackmoor House, Hampshire, II, Country Life, 5 September 1974, fig. 2 for a nineteenth-century photograph showing two chairs of this pattern, in situ, in the Drawing Room (see right)
Adam Bowett, ed., 100 British Chairs, 2015, no. 67
Blackmoor House was designed by Waterhouse for Sir Roundell Palmer, a lawyer who became Solicitor-General 1861-3 and Lord Chancellor, 1872-4 and 1880-5. Palmer bought the estate at Blackmoor in 1865. The furniture, also designed by Waterhouse but for which no drawings survive, was supplied by the firm of Henry Capel, 26 Great Titchfield Street, London.
Henry Capel supplied much of the furniture at Blackmoor and for other Waterhouse commissions, including Eaton Hall, Balliol College, Oxford, and in Cambridge, Jesus and Pembroke Colleges. Capel is recorded as working throughout the 1870s, and exhibited at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1878.The trade card, shown right, is in the collection of the Victoria and Albert Museum.
Although lacking a continuous provenance, this chair is presumed to have come from Blackmoor House.