Designer / Maker
Designed by Thomas Collcutt (1840-1924)
Manufactured by Collinson & Lock (firm active 1870-97)
Ebonised mahogany, with penwork decoration and brass handles
236 x 143 x 59 cm
English (London), circa 1875
The Art Journal Catalogue of the International Exhibition, 1871, p. 22, for the first version of this cabinet, displayed at the London International Exhibition, 1871 (Victoria and Albert Museum)
NotesThe V&A cabinet, shown at the London International Exhibition, 1871, was praised for its design and decoration. The Art Journal records the painter of the 1871 cabinet as ‘Woolridge’, probably Harry Ellis Woolridge (1845-1917), who painted the reredos of St Martin’s Church, Brighton, 1878.A second version of the cabinet was exhibited at the Vienna World’s fair, 1873, and is now in the collection of the Museum für Angewandte Kunst, Vienna; it has paintings by Edward Burne-Jones (1833-98).A third cabinet was exhibited at the Philadelphia centennial, 1876; it is possible that the pair of doors painted by Charles Fairfax Murray (1849-1919), in the collection of the Metropolitan Museums of Art, are all that remain of the Philadelphia model. Next in line come a very poorly decorated version on the New York market in 1996, and a rosewood version in a private collection.