Bust of George IV
Designer / Maker
Manufactured by Rundell, Bridge & Rundell (various partnerships, 1788-1842)
Ormolu; mounted with enamel, gold, diamonds, emeralds and rubies
19 1/2 in (49.5 cm) high
English (London), 1830
‘RUNDELL, BRIDGE ET RUNDELL AURIFICES REGIS LONDINI’ (above plinth)
‘TO SIR HENRY HALFORD BART / THIS BUST OF HIS LATE MAJESTY KING GEORGE IV / IS PRESENTED / BY THEIR ROYAL HIGHNESSES THE DUKES OF CUMBERLAND AND CAMBRIDGE / THE PRINCESSES AUGUSTA THE LANDGRAVINE OF HESSE HOMBURG / THE DUCHESS OF GLOUCESTER AND THE PRINCESS SOPHIA / AS A TOKEN OF THEIR ESTEEM AND REGARD / AND IN TESTIMONY OF THE HIGH SENSE THEY ENTERTAIN OF HIS PROFESSIONAL ABILITY / AND UNWEARIED ATTENTION DURING THE ILLNESS OF THEIR LATE BELOVED SISTER / Inscribed / THE PRINCESS AMELIA OF HER LATE MAJESTY QUEEN CHARLOTTE, AND HIS LATE / MAJESTY KING GEORGE III HIS ROYAL HIGHNESS THE LATE DUKE OF YORK / AND LASTLY OF HIS LATE MAJESTY KING GEORGE IV / MDCCCXXX’, and with Royal monograms (on plinth)
Sir Henry Halford (1766-1844), physician extraordinary to George III, who also attended George IV, William IV and Queen Victoria
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
The jewelled and classically draped bust of George IV was modelled (probably after a marble) by Francis Chantrey (1781-1841), who also designed independently for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell. The Gothic pedestal might tentatively be associated with either A.C. Pugin (1762-1832), or his son A.W.N. Pugin (1812-52), who were supplying Gothic furnishings for Windsor Castle from 1826; the younger Pugin also worked for Rundell’s. The gold medal by Benedetto Pistruicci (1784-1855) is dated 19 July 1821, and commemorates the coronation of George IV.
Among other ormolu representations of George IV by Rundell, Bridge and Rundell are a large equestrian group (private collection), a bust on pedestal, dated 1821 (Royal Pavilion, Brighton) and a standing figure on pedestal, dated 1822, formerly in the collection of George IV’s mistress Elizabeth, Marchioness of Conyngham (1768-1860), sold Christie’s, London, 19 November 1992, lot 114.