Designer / Maker
Designed by E.W. Godwin (1833–86)
Manufactured by Collinson & Lock (1870–97)
Mahogany, with lacquered brass hardware and gilt-leaded glass 209.5 × 75.7 × 40.6 cm
English (London), circa 1874
H. Blairman & Sons Ltd, Furniture and Works of Art (2001), no. 11 (for an identical cabinet, with a single escutcheon on the proper left door, and the design)
Susan Weber, ‘Edward William Godwin, F.S.A. (1833–86): ‘the greatest aesthete of them all’, in E.W. Godwin, London, 2018, figs. 5 and 6 (for the cabinet cited above and the design)
Godwin’s design for this cabinet, the second example now identified, is dated 23 April 1874 and inscribed ‘C & L / [Cottage] angle cabt’ (V&A AAD 4/13–1963). Like the design for a cottage drawing room cabinet in the same sketch book, the corner cabinet varies a little from Godwin’s sketch; see Susan Weber Soros, The Secular Furniture of E.W. Godwin, New Haven and London, 1999, no. 333 for the drawing room cabinet (private collection) and Godwin’s design.
The composition of the present cabinet demonstrates Godwin’s fascination with a careful grouping of solids and voids. The upper section seemingly floats on the row of spindles above the solid-sided base, lightened by an open shelf, which the designer himself suggested could be ornamented with a vase.
Restorations to spindles