Designer / Maker
Frank Brangwyn (1867-1954)
Manfactured by Edward Pollard & Co., Oxford Street, London
Oak, with rush seat
106.7 x 65 x 44 cm
English, circa 1930
Frank Brangwyn, The Jointure, Ditchling, and by descent until September 2000; private collection
A side chair with the same provenance is also available
The Brangwyns acquired The Jointure in 1918 and lived there for the rest of their lives.
In 1930, Frank Brangwyn created an exhibition of three furnished rooms at Pollard & Co’s Oxford Street showrooms. The furniture was made by Pollard’s, and other exhibits included ceramics by Doulton, Leach Potteries and Ashstead Potters; glass by James Powell, and carpets by James Templeton. As Charles Holme commented: ‘There is a large public who would like to possess convenient and beautiful things at reasonable cost, and here, through the enterprise and energy of Mr. Edward Pollard, are exhibited the results of what thought, design and workmanship can produce.’ (The Studio, vol. 100, 1930).
To the right is a photograph of the present chair from an album kept by Brangwyn. In another photograph, the designer himself is shown seated in a close variant. A chair of this pattern (see right) was included in the 1930 exhibition, and illustrated in the catalogue Exhibition of Furniture made by E. Pollard & Co. Ltd from Designs by Frank Brangwyn RA (Autumn 1930).
For a variant of the present chair, then still at The Jointure, see Jill Seddon, ‘Furniture Designed by Frank Brangwyn’, Furniture History X (1974), pp. 100-01, pl. 47B.
For more on Brangwyn as a designer, see www.frankbrangwyn.org