77 x 64 x 41.5 cm (max. width)
English, circa 1890-1900
A chair of this pattern was exhibited by Josef Hoffmann at the 5th Vienna Secession Exhibition, 1899. As a result this model, and the four-legged variant, are not infrequently attributed to Hoffmann. It seems more likely, however, that the chair exhibited in 1899 was either an English chair that Hoffmann admired, or a version made in Austria.
The form of this chair may be seen as deriving from early Georgian corner chairs.
Adolph Loos also famously adapted the Liberty & Co. Thebes stool.