'Clutha' vase

Ref: 1924
  • Designer / Maker

    Designed by Dr Christopher Dresser (1834-1904)

    Manufactured by James Couper & Son (1875-1940)

  • Detail

    Coloured speckled glass, with golden inclusions

    Height: 25.5 cm

    Scottish (Glasgow), circa 1890

  • Marked

    ‘CLUTHA / DESIGNED BY C.D. / REGISTERED’ (see right)

  • Collection

    Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City

  • Notes

    The ‘Clutha’ range of art glass was introduced in 1888 and was made until around 1900.  There appears to be no other published version of this Chinese-inspired, double gourd.  However a taller example (47 cm) is in the collection at Crab Tree Farm, Lake Bluff; see Christopher Dresser Ceramics, Glass and Metalware, 2015, no. 18.