Ernest Gimson (1864-1919)
Mahogany, with silver-plated brass handles
78 x 109 x 52.2 cm
English (Sapperton), probably 1904
Lord Bathurst (1864-1943), Cirencester Park, and by descent; Duke’s, 18 June 2009, lot 614; private collection
The design, specifically for ‘Countess Bathurst’ is described as a ‘Washing Stand in Solid Cuban Mahogany – with two drawers … with silver handles’, and is signed and dated ‘E.W.G. Daneway House March 27 1903’ (Cheltenham Museum & Art Gallery, P.1941.222.436).
In 1894, the year after Gimson and the Barnsley brothers, moved from London, they were offered economical accommodation on the edge of Lord Bathurst’s Pinbury Park estate. The three remained there until 1902, when Gimson moved to Daneway House, which also belonged to Bathurst. In addition to being Gimson’s landlord, Bathurst was also an important patron.