Designer / Maker
The design attributed to William Burges (1827-71)
Manufactured by Jes Barkentin
Silver and enamel
8.9 x 12.1 cm
English (London), 1871
Thomas John Gullick (1829-95), and by descent
‘DER WITTWEN UND DER WAISSEN DANK BEDEUTE DIR MEIN BETRANK’ (around the base), and with the Prussian arms, Gullick’s initials, and the date 1871 (all in enamel)
The cup was presented to Thomas John Gullick in recognition of his role in organizing the exhibition to aid ‘The Widows and Orphans of German Soldiers’, held at the gallery of the New British Institution, New Bond Street, London, 24 October-15 November 1870. The inscription around the foot translates approximately as ‘drink a toast of thanks from the widows and orphans’.
The exhibition, held during the Franco Prussian War (July 1870-May 1871), enjoyed the patronage of the sculptor Count Gleichen, a half-cousin to Queen Victoria. Gleichen, and Pricess Louise, who also contributed to the exhibition, were both exhibitors at Sir Coutts Lindsay’s Grosvenor Gallery.
The exhibition is mentioned in a letter from F. Broemel and T.J. Gullick ‘The Widows and Orphans of German Soldiers’, The Times, 22 August 1870.
The form and decoration on the ‘Gullick’ cup anticipates a series of six cups designed by Burges and manufactured for himself, and a close circle of friends, in that late 1870s.