The design by William Morris (1834-96)
The manufacture by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. (1861-75)
Stained glass, and lead
46 x 46 cm (including frame)
English (London), early 1870s
One pane of glass cracked
Haslam & Whiteway, 1980s; H. Blairman & Sons; private collection
These quarries are identical to those on the Minstrel figure window in the V&A (C.677-1923). This window, one of two donated by May Morris, was manufactured during the Morris, Marshall, Faulkner & Co. period (pre-1875).It is likely that this quarry design was used in other secular and church windows, although none has been traced to date. The two V&A panels are included in A. C. Sewter, The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle (Yale UP, 1974, 1975), vol. 1, figs. 361 and 362, and described in vol. 2, p. 104. It is not inconceivable that our panel might have been part of the original glazing scheme along with the two V&A Minstrel panels.We are grateful to Peter Cormack for his advice on this window.