Wrought and patinated iron
60 cm (high)
English, circa 1905
Norman Chapel House, Chipping Campden; [ … ]; J.S.M.Scott
Norman Chapel House was converted in 1905-07 by C.R. Ashbee for the Dr Ananda Coomaraswamy, the scholar born in Ceylon (now Sri Lanka). Ashbee later moved his Essex House Press to Norman Chapel House, and lived there himself between 1911 and 1919.
See C.R. Ashbee, ‘The “Norman Chapel” Buildings at Broad Campden, in Gloucestershire. By C. R. Ashbee, Architect.’, The Studio, 47 (1907), pp. 289-96.
Comaraswany had a particular interest in Indian art and symbolism, and the form of the doorstop can be seen as a stylised Naga, the mythological and symbolic cobra familiar throughout the the countries of the Indian sub-continent and south-east Asia. The example shown to the right is at Angkor Wat.