Manufactured by Herter Brothers (1864-1906)
Ebonised and parcel-gilt, with marquetry of various woods, and white pine (secondary wood); the upholstery of later date
86 x 44 x 44 cm
American (New York), circa 1875-80
Pencil inscription on back rail ‘2986 Store’ (see right); also with blue pencil inscription ‘2986’ on one side rail
An unidentified English collection
An identical chair is in the collection of the Cleveland Museum of Art (1982.5); a second is in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (1996.216), and another pair is in an American West Coast private collection.
A closely related chair was supplied to the White House (photographed in situ 1877-81), while others were in the parlor of Woodlands (circa 1874) and at the Vanderbilt Mansion (circa 1879); see Howe, Frelinghuysen, Voorsanger et al., Herter Brothers: Furniture and Interiors for a Gilded Age, New York, 1994, under no. 21.
The upholstery replicates the original blue silk, which has been retained, and the braid follows the original footprint.
An identical chair was offered at Piasa, Paris, 8 October 2014, lot 19.