Coupe

Ref: 1426
  • Maker / Retailer

    The bowl by Auguste Delaherche (1857-1940),

    for Frédéric Boucheron (firm active 1858-present)

  • Detail

    Stoneware (grès), with silver-gilt mounts

    9 x 18 x 14 cm

    French (Paris), circa 1894-97

  • Marked

    ‘Auguste Delaherche’ and ‘6502’ (under base of bowl, see right)

    ‘F, Boucheron’ (on base rim of silver, to the right of the ceramic mark)

  • Provenance

    Christie’s, Studio Pottery Art Nouveau and Cameo Glass, 3 June 1975, lot 27; [ … ]; Lorraine Norré, Paris, late 1990s; H. Blairman & Sons; private collections

  • Notes

    The number on the base of the bowl dates from the period 1887-1894, when Delaherche was operating from the workhop of Ernest Chaplet (1835-1909) at 153 rue Blomet, Paris; see Josette Galiégue, Bernard Giguet, et al., Auguste Delaherche: rêves d’argile secrets d’émail, Gingins, 2001, p. 33.

    The coupe is recorded in the Boucheron archive in 1897 as: ‘coupe en grès (Delaherche) pieds et bords en feuillages, et anses têtes de loups’ (see image to right). The archive also records an example with a single handle.

    We are grateful to Claudine Sablier for information from the Boucheron archive.

     

  • Collection

    Private collection