Designer / Maker
Designed by A.W.N. Pugin (1812-52)
Manufactured by Minton & Co. (1796-1968)
Red earthenware inlaid with buff
30.5 x 30.5 cm
English (Stoke-on-Trent), designed 1847, manufactured circa 1850
‘MINTON & Co. / PATENT / STOKE-UPON-TRENT’ impressed to back (see right)
New Palace of Westminster; […]; John Scott collection, 3 September 1994; with Haslam & Whiteway, 2005; private collection 2005-18
Alexandra Wedgwood, A.W.N. Pugin and the Pugin Family, 1985, p.322 (for an identical tile, presented to the V&A by the Department of Environment in 1982.
This three lion pattern was designed by Pugin for the fireplace of the Prince’s Chamber, at the Palace of Westminster. The example at the V&A (C.150-1982) is from the House of Commons, laid in 1850.