Side chair

Ref: 0314
  • Designer

    George Edmund Street (1824-81)

  • Detail

    Oak, with original red leather seat and covered brass studs, and brass castors

    90 x 63 x 36 cm

    English (London), presumably circa 1880

  • Provenance

    The Royal Courts of Justice, London; H. Blairman & Sons, early 1990s; private collection

  • Literature

    David Brownlee, The Law Courts: The Architecture of George Edmund Street, 1984 (for a discussion of this commission)

  • Collection

    Private collection

  • Notes

    Furnishings designed by Street for the Law Courts were supplied, from circa 1880, by manufacturers including Gillow and Collinson & Lock.  It was during the early 1990s that pieces from this historic commission, notably a wide range of chairs, began to appear on the market; see Michael Hall, ‘Comment: It is time to do justice to a great collection of Victorian furniture.’, Country Life, 5 May 1994.