Pair of wall lights
William White (1825-1900)
Wrought iron (or bronze?), with painted decoration
56 x 35 cm
English, circa 1870
Clement Francis, Quy Hall, Cambridgeshire; and thence by descent until sold in 2000
These wall lights were originally attached to a massive overmantel mirror frame.
A pair of candlesticks designed in around 1864 by White for John Garrett of Bishop’s Court, Devon, is in the collection of the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge (M. 3A & B – 1994). These were first thought to have been made of wrought iron, but are now described as bronze.