Designer and Maker
Designed and manufactured by John Pearson (fl. circa 1888-1910)
Beaten and patinated copper, on wooden core
12 x 31 x 23 cm
English (Newlyn), 1902
Signed and dated
‘J. P. 1902’ (on the reverse – see right)
John Pearson was one of four founding members of the Guild of Handicraft, initiated in 1888 by Charles Robert Ashbee (1863-1942). Pearson was the Guild’s leading metalworker, responsible for creating repoussé work, some of which was shown at the 1888 Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society exhibition. Following his departure from the Guild in 1892, Pearson taught at the Newlyn Industrial Class for about seven years.
The present box retains its original patina and green-stained interior.